Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Derpy's Scrapbook: Reviews! #2: Snuggle Bubble Muffin by Sajira / We Love Fine

This will be my second edition of 

Derpy's Scrapbook: Reviews! 

All of my items feature Derpy in some way, but occasionally I will do a random pony that I was really interested in. I wanted to review the Snuggle Bubble Muffin because she arrived on a particularly bad day for me and really cheered me up! She's also one of the rarer incarnations of our beloved "Muffins".

My scoring system is based on Muffins, 1 being the lowest, and 5 being the highest. I look at Packaging, Detail, Quality, Fun, and Rarity. 

 As you can see here, I also got the matching t-shirt, since it was the prerequisite to get Derpy for their limited online availibility (well, a purchase of $25). As you can see by the green card, this is the second print figure. Original presses have a blue card. There is no difference in the figures themselves that I know of.






Packaging:
The packaging is very limited on the figure and the shirt. They came wrapped in tissue paper and the vinyl figure is originally sealed in the plastic like you see below:


I'm going to count the card as part of the packaging and say this: mine has dents in it from Derpy's fabulous hair. I think to a collector little things like this would matter, but you couldn't even see it in the package, much less unless you're up close.




Detail:
The shirt will not be included in this section.
As for the figure, it has loads of detail. The figure to me is fairly spot on from every angle. I especially liked that her hair was accurate, since it hasn't been in other incarnations of Derpy figures.

 Her eyes are of course crossed. The muffin itself looks like the vector come to life right down to the signature dots. There is even some stippling texture to give the real life muffin feel.

 Her cutie mark has vivid coloring and of course, has 7 bubbles. The peg insert is completely hidden once in the base.


The pose is also very interesting and appealing. She's hugging the muffin for dear life and balancing on her tail. Her face is really cute and her body is appropriately proportioned.

Quality:
This is a true collector's item (the shirt, too).
The shirt is just... amazing. This was my first WeLoveFine shirt and there is a reason there's millions of shirts on their site. It's soooo comfortable. I would lounge in this all day long. It's roomy, soft, and I suspect, durable, too. I don't really care for how the image is printed on because it's above the fabric level, but I think it will last a long time.
The figure has some weight, the paint is heavy and again, amazing detail work. Beautiful colors. My only complaint would probably be that there is no card stand and that the stand she comes with isn't very heavy or detailed, but those aren't really the things that matter. The seams are barely noticable, the waves in her hair are flowy, her eyes are spot-on. I have no complaints here.
Once you see one of these up close, you'll be sold.

Fun:
The shirt is really beautiful and fun and comfortable to wear. Any true Derpy fan will probably recognize you. Some people will think it's just cute. I think the navy color I got is perfect for any gender, and the beautiful art by Sajira is fun for any age and you don't really need to get any reference to wear the shirt. It's a cute pony with a cute muffin.
I wouldn't call the figure "fun", but it has a unique pose that makes her great to display. She isn't made for horsing around... (bad pun). I feel the Funko vinyls are more suited for that, but not as durable for wear as this figure. I say pop this one in a plastic/glass case and show her off. She's a beautiful, limited peice featuring best pony, how could you not have fun?!



 Rarity:
The shirt is common and availible in different colors.
This figure was even more expensive than SDCC Derpy sometimes. She was limited to one convention with a catch: you had to purchase $100 worth of WeLoveFine merchandise. But that's the original pressing. This pressing was actually online twice within a few days. She did sell out, but not super fast. I would say this figure isn't common, but somewhat rare. You see maybe 4 or 5 on Ebay, all overpriced. Again, she is a very unique and important peice to someone's MLP or Derpy collection.

Overall, I give this figure...

Score: 5 out of 5 Muffins






No comments:

Post a Comment